Monday, February 4, 2013

JUKES? KALLIKAKS? RAISE YOUR HANDS

Michael L. Wehmeyer, Ph.D., Professor of Special Education; Director, Kansas University Center on Developmental Disabilities; and Associate Director, Beach Center on Disability, at the University of Kansas, is the author of Good Blood, Bad Blood: Science, Nature and the Myth of the Kallikaks.

Wehmeyer will speak at 7 pm on Friday, February 8, at the Raven Book Store, 6 E 7th in Lawrence.

(Prominently displayed on a shelf In a library I frequently visited as a child was a book entitled THE JUKES AND THE KALLIKAKS. I was intrigued by the title. When I thought no librarian was looking, I sneaked a peak into the book and tried to figure out what it was all about. I never read the book – in that library children were never permitted to check out any books from the adult section. Just as well. Apparently from Wehmeyer’s book, it was only a myth.)

No comments:

Post a Comment